FOOD OF THE WEEK – CARDAMOM
This week we continue our theme of holiday spices to work into our meals. Marked by its exotic depth of flavor, cardamom is appreciated around the world.
Herbal and floral. Spicy and sweet. With its complex flavors and full-bodied fragrance, cardamom complements a wide scope of global dishes from Indian curries, meat and rice dishes to Nordic breads and pastries to Middle Eastern drinks.
It’s still soup season and we wanted to feature one with a little twist. Tessemae’s Soy Ginger combined with a little Thai chili paste gives this carrot soup a deep, spicy flavor. Cardamom is a classic ingredient for pairing with ginger, and especially for curries. Use this recipe as a means to experiment with the spice. Also, be sure to use your Spartan discount code: SPARTAN for 20% off your order at Tessemaes All Natural®
- 3 tablespoons Tessemae’s Soy Ginger
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 2, 2-inch pieces fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon Tessemae’s Slow Roasted Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 pinch cardamom (or to taste)
- Heat Tessemae’s Soy Ginger in a large pot over medium. Add the carrots, onion and ginger and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add Tessemae’s Slow Roasted Garlic, curry paste, coconut milk, and 5 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the carrots are very tender and the flavors meld, about 30 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender or right in the pot with an immersion blender. Thin with water if it’s too thick, simmer a little if too thin. Adjust seasoning with lime juice, salt and pepper. Serve the soup topped with a drizzle of Tessemae’s Soy Ginger.
Original post at Spartan Race.
Are you looking for a little help with starting your weight loss? Try out our 24 Day Challenge!
Have a great day!
Dave & Maryann