FOOD OF THE WEEK – CINNAMON
This week we continue our theme of holiday spices to work into our meals. With its piquant taste and familiar aroma, cinnamon is a hallmark scent of the holidays adding warmth to seasonal favorites such as baked goods and beverages — but don’t stop there!
Cinnamon is a spice rack essential available whole in stick form or ground and even a dash can elevate a dish. It is a key spice in quick breads, pies, cookies, breakfast staples and savory dishes such as soups and stews or in rubs or marinades for roasting meats.
By: Rose Marie Jarry, Master Chef at Kronobar
16 cookies, vegan, gluten free, 15 minutes of preparation+13 minutes of cooking
- 1 ½ cups chickpea flour
- ½ cup cane sugar
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup of hot water
- ¼ cup of crushed raspberries
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon real vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Soak both cranberries and raspberries in hot water for 10 minutes.
- Use the bowl of a standing mixer to mix together everything except for this soaking fruit. Mix until the oil is well spread into the dry ingredients.
- Add the soaked fruit and with all the water into mix.
- Continue mixing a few seconds until it form a dough ball.
- Sift some flour (any kind) on the counter, along with 1 tablespoon of cinnamon powder, and then form a sausages with the cookie dough. Roll it down until it is about 2 inches wide.
- Cut the sausages of dough in half, then each half in half again, and then do this one more time, so you have 16 even pieces.
- Grease a cookie sheet pan and lays the cookies flat on them. You can use your hand to shape them more round if you wish to.
- Bake for 13 minutes at 400F.
- Let the cookies cool down before removing them from the pan.
Original post at Spartan Race.
Are you looking for a little help with starting your weight loss? Try out our 24 Day Challenge!
Have a great day!
Dave & Maryann