FOOD OF THE WEEK – CINNAMON
This week we continue our theme of holiday spices to work into our meals. With its piquant taste and familiar aroma, cinnamon is a hallmark scent of the holidays adding warmth to seasonal favorites such as baked goods and beverages — but don’t stop there!
Cinnamon is a spice rack essential available whole in stick form or ground and even a dash can elevate a dish. It is a key spice in quick breads, pies, cookies, breakfast staples and savory dishes such as soups and stews or in rubs or marinades for roasting meats.
By: Rose Marie Jarry, Master Chef at Kronobar
6 burgers, vegan, gluten free, 20 minutes of preparation+17 minutes of cooking
- 2 cups cooked white navy beans
- ½ cup quinoa flakes
- ½ cup date paste or really soft dates
- 1 cup shredded rutabaga
- 3 cloves, crushed
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable broth powder
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon powder
- Sea salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 2 medium size onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a food processor or a mixer, mix all the ingredients for the burgers together except for the coconut oil.
- Form 6 burgers with your hands, apply some oil on your fingers to prevent the mixture to sticking to you.
- Lay the burgers on a greased cookie sheet and pour 1 small drop of coconut oil on each burger.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 400F, and then set on broil for 2 additional minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the burgers are baking, you can prepare the onions.
- Heat up a small sauce pan and melt the remaining coconut oil along with the apple cider vinegar, cinnamon and the sugar. Add the chopped onion and let it cook on medium high heat for 6 minutes. Stir a few times in the process.
- When the burgers are ready, grill some buns and then spread some coconut oil on the hot buns and follow with one patties, and then a bunch of caramelized onions, fresh tomatoes and lettuce.
Original post at Spartan Race.
Are you looking for a little help with starting your weight loss? Try out our 24 Day Challenge!
Have a great day!
Dave & Maryann