FOOD OF THE WEEK – CRUSHED RED CHILI FLAKES
Continuing our series of featuring spices, this week we are using Crushed Red Chili Flakes. From breakfast to lunch to dinner, just a sprinkle of crushed red chili flakes can transform a dish without overpowering it. Bring on the flakes!
WHY CRUSHED RED CHILI FLAKES?
KALE AND SWEET POTATO GRATIN
10 minutes + 15-45, 4 servings, gluten-free, vegan.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ½ pounds sweet potatoes (3 medium or 2 large)
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Tessemae’s Slow Roasted Garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
- Heat your oven to 375. Butter a 2 quart baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Peel the sweet potatoes. If they are large, halve them lengthwise. Slice the potatoes thinly crosswise.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a pot or large saucepan over medium high. Add the kale, season with salt and pepper and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Stir the sweet potatoes, cream, Tessemae Slow-Roasted Garlic, and nutmeg into the pot. (The cream will not cover the potatoes at first.) Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring frequently until the cream thickens and the potatoes are almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the potato mixture into the baking dish and sprinkle with cheese, Bake until deeply browned, about 30 minutes. Let the gratin stand at least 30 minutes before serving to set.
Are you looking for a little help with starting your weight loss? Try out our 24 Day Challenge!
Have a great day!
Dave & Maryann