FOOD OF THE WEEK – CRUSHED RED CHILI FLAKES
Continuing our series of featuring spices, this week we are using Crushed Red Chili Flakes. From breakfast to lunch to dinner, just a sprinkle of crushed red chili flakes can transform a dish without overpowering it. Bring on the flakes!
WHY CRUSHED RED CHILI FLAKES?
Crushed red chili flakes (a.k.a red pepper flakes) add a depth of flavor and heat, so you can make a simple recipe such as pasta sauce, scrambled eggs or pizza taste more complex. They are made from a variety of peppers, including combinations of ancho, bell and cayenne.
BARN BEAST BREAKFAST BURRITO
While doing the 100 mile Snow Shoe race in Pittsfield, VT, the infamous Barn Beast, aka Jason Jaksetic, requested breakfast burritos around mile 74. It was obvious that I had to come up with a recipe in honor of his amazing accomplishment of completing the 100 miles, and I felt that a burrito recipe is the perfect way to commemorate the historic event.
These hearty, clean and healthy versions of the popular breakfast promise lots of energy, less fat, and more nutrition but all the flavor. Clean tip – use corn tortillas instead of flour. They are less processed!
- 2 cups egg whites
- ½ Cup Fat Free Greek Yogurt
- ½ Cup chopped tomato
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- ½ Cup chopped onion
- ½ Cup black beans
- 4 corn tortillas
- sea salt and fresh black pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- In a small bowl whisk egg whites, Greek yogurt, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- In a medium skillet coated with cooking spray, saute vegetables and beans until soft. Pour the egg/yogurt mixture over vegetables and cook until mixture sets.
- Once firm, divide egg mixture among the warmed tortillas. Roll each into a burrito. Garnish with low-fat-sodium salsa.
Number of Servings: 4 (unless you are an Actual Barn Beast, then it’s more like two).
Original post at Spartan Race.
Are you looking for a little help with starting your weight loss? Try out our 24 Day Challenge!
Have a great day!
Dave & Maryann