FOOD OF THE WEEK – NUTMEG
With its signature smell and ability to boost flavor with just a sprinkle, nutmeg is a pantry essential for sweet and savory holiday dishes.
This light brown seed adds sweetness and spice to cream-based sauces, baked goods, holiday drinks such as cider and eggnog — and even vegetables.
VEGAN DATE-PECAN PUMPKIN PIE
Creamy pumpkin pie filling is right at home in this date-sweetened, gluten-free crust.
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour , plus extra for pressing out the crust
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1/4 cup no-salt-added cashew butter
- 3/4 cup pitted dates , soaked in warm water for 10 minutes to soften
- 1 can pumpkin purée
- 2 tablespoons no-salt-added cashew butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plain almondmilk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal
Per Serving: 220 calories (80 from fat), 9g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 20mg sodium, 33g carbohydrates, (5 g dietary fiber, 18g sugar), 5g protein.
8 servings, dairy free, wheat free, gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, low sodium, high fiber
Note: We’ve provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we’re cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information.
For healthy eating tips, hundreds of recipes, cooking techniques, meal plans and more, visitWhole Foods Market’s Healthy Eating resources.
Original post at Spartan Race.
Are you looking for a little help with starting your weight loss? Try out our 24 Day Challenge!
Have a great day!
Dave & Maryann