FOOD OF THE WEEK – PUMPKINS!
It’s Halloween week and with all of those scary sweets being put out everywhere you look I wanted to keep with the season but in a healthy way. How do you do that? Pumpkins!!!
These sweet, bright-orange squashes are more versatile than you may imagine. Dice and steam them for a side vegetable, feature them in pot pies, soufflés, salads, soups and casseroles, or make cakes, breads, muffins and of course, pumpkin pie. Besides adding a sweet nutty flavor to dishes, a serving of raw pumpkin (85g) is high in vitamin A and a good source of vitamin C.
25 minutes, 8 servings, 98 calories per serving, gluten free, vegan
- 2 cups organic cooked pumpkin
- 2 cups organic potatoes
- 5 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 organic onion
- 1 organic apple
- 1 tbs organic fresh grated ginger roots
- 1 tbs organic coconut oil
- Combine all ingredients together in a big pot, reserving the coconut oil on the side.
- Once everything is cooked through, add coconut oil and serve.
Nutritional Facts: A review of several studies has concluded that ginger is just as effective as vitamin B6 in the treatment of morning sickness.
Original post at Spartan Race.
Are you looking for a little help with starting your weight loss? Try out our 24 Day Challenge!
Have a great day!
Dave & Maryann