FOOD OF THE WEEK – PUMPKINS!
It’s Halloween week and with all of those scary sweets being put out everywhere you look I wanted to keep with the season but in a healthy way. How do you do that? Pumpkins!!!
These sweet, bright-orange squashes are more versatile than you may imagine. Dice and steam them for a side vegetable, feature them in pot pies, soufflés, salads, soups and casseroles, or make cakes, breads, muffins and of course, pumpkin pie. Besides adding a sweet nutty flavor to dishes, a serving of raw pumpkin (85g) is high in vitamin A and a good source of vitamin C.
By: Rose Marie Jarry, Master Chef at Kronobar
10 minutes + 60 minutes of cooking, 5 servings, gluten-free, vegan.
- 2 cups cooked white pumpkin
- 1 ¾ cups coconut milk
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup potato flour
- 1/3 cup organic coconut palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup organic cane sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 330F.
- Prepare a large pan with water at the bottom that will be used to create a double boiler. When the time comes, you will place this whole pan (double boiler) into the oven.
- Blend all the ingredients together except for the ingredients on the caramel topping list.
- Grease individual porcelain bowls that can go in the oven of about 4 inches wide.
- Pour the creme brulee mix into the bowls.
- Heat up a pan with the ¼ cup of cane sugar inside. Keep the heat on high and stay next to your pan. It will take about 3-4 minutes to get a caramel from this sugar. When it turns brownish color, it’s time to remove from the heat and pour the 3 tablespoons of water on top of the sugar.
- Pour a little bit of caramel on each creme brulee and bake in the oven, in the double boiler for 45 minutes. If you are using 1 large bowl to bake the creme brulee instead of 5 individual servings, it might take up to 60 minutes to bake.
- You will know that is ready when you shake the bowls a little bit and the creme brulee doesn’t have a jelly texture anymore.
- When you take it out of the oven, let it cool down a while before eating it. If you can refrigerate it overnight, it is even better.
Original post at Spartan Race.
Are you looking for a little help with starting your weight loss? Try out our 24 Day Challenge!
Have a great day!
Dave & Maryann