FOOD OF THE WEEK – PUMPKINS!
It’s Halloween week and with all of those scary sweets being put out everywhere you look I wanted to keep with the season but in a healthy way. How do you do that? Pumpkins!!!
These sweet, bright-orange squashes are more versatile than you may imagine. Dice and steam them for a side vegetable, feature them in pot pies, soufflés, salads, soups and casseroles, or make cakes, breads, muffins and of course, pumpkin pie. Besides adding a sweet nutty flavor to dishes, a serving of raw pumpkin (85g) is high in vitamin A and a good source of vitamin C.
By: Andrew Thomas
5-10 minutes, 1 serving, 115 calories per serving, gluten-free, vegan
- 1 cup brewed coffee, cooled
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree, canned
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Brew 1 cup of your favorite coffee, and put in freezer to quickly cool.
- Remove coffee from freezer and pour into blender, along with almond milk, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, and spices.
- Blend for 15-20 seconds.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
Original post at Spartan Race.
Are you looking for a little help with starting your weight loss? Try out our 24 Day Challenge!
Have a great day!
Dave & Maryann